11.I met his wife,too.(An afterthought .) I didn't much like her.我还见过他的夫人。(然后补充说)我不太喜欢她。
Afterthought事后的思考/补充
12.I can't help wondering if there's been an oversight of some kind.
1)……I can't believe they've deliberately slighted us.There must be a mistake.They just happen to have forgotten us.
2)oversight:an unintended failure to notice or do sth.疏忽出错,忽略
Whether by oversight or intention,he will be punished for that .不管是处于疏忽还是故意,他都要受到惩罚。
13.Now,I didn't have to say that…… if you ask me,it showed a lot of humility on my part to say a thing like that when,after all,I've got a career of my own to consider……
(Just a few days before he died I said,“Scotty Woodrow is still the greatest.”)Well,you know,I didn't have to say something so complimentary.When I had such a high opinion of him,it looked as if I had a low opinion of myself;it isn't good when I have a promising career in Hollywood……
if you ask me:in my opinion(口语)我认为,依我看(强调以下所说只是个人意见),又如:
If you ask me,they aren't reliable partners.
我个人认为,他们不是可靠的合作者。
The book is all trash,if you ask me.
我认为这本书里说的全是陈词滥调。
14.……try to do something,Mike.
……try to find a way to get us invited.
15.He couldn't get us an invitation to Dineyland.这么简单的事情他哪能办成呀。 (注意卡罗的挖苦口气。)
an invitation to Disneyland:one of the easiest things to do再简单不过的事情。
Disneyland:迪斯尼乐园,在美国的洛杉矶近郊,是美国动画片制作家及制片人活尔特迪斯尼Walter Disney创建的游乐园。其后迪斯尼公司陆续在佛罗里达州以及日本、法国等地建立同样的游乐园,下一个迪斯尼乐园将建于香港。
这里couldn't表示“不可能”。
16.Oh yes!Half the people going,going,I bet,have never met him.是啊,我敢肯定,去的人当中有一半根本就没见过他。
going:who are going to the funeral.
I bet /I'll bet/you can bet(that):I'm certain (that)(口语)我敢肯定,又如:
I bet she won't take the job.The salary is far from what she expects.
我肯定她不会接受这份工作,薪水与她所期望的相距太远了。
You can bet they'll on time.
我敢肯定他们会准时来的。
这里为了突出卡罗所肯定的具体内容,将I bet作为插入语放到句子中间。
17.Now,if we don't get an invitation,I'll have to lie again and say we came down with food poisoning,or something.—(…I'll have to tell another lie and say we can't go because we're suffering from food poisoning or some other illness.)现在我们要是还收不到请贴,我还得再撒一次谎,说我们食物中毒或是得了别的什么病。
1)come down with:to get an illness that is not serious;become ill with得了……病,又如:
The whole family came down with the flu and had to stay in bed.
他们全家都患了流感,都卧床不起。
2)or something/somebody/somewhere:用来表示不敢确定是什么、